There are many different miter saws available, each with its strengths and weaknesses. Having the proper miter saw for your shop can make or break your woodworking projects. But with such a wide range of options on the market, choosing the best miter saw for your needs can be challenging.
The best miter saw overall is the Bosch 12-Inch Dual-Bevel Glide Miter Saw (GCM12SD). It offers a large cutting capacity, smooth cutting motion, accurate performance, and soft-grip ambidextrous handle. It also has easy-access upfront controls, a space-saving design, and a 1-year limited warranty.
In this article, I’ll compare the best miter saws on the market to help you make the best decision for your needs and look at different aspects such as power, blade size, price, and more. I’ll also discuss why the Bosch 12-Inch Dual-Bevel Glide Miter Saw (GCM12SD) is the best option and go over other top contenders that are better options in specific situations.
Best Overall Pick: Bosch 12-Inch Dual-Bevel Glide Miter Saw (GCM12SD)
An excellent miter saw at a reasonable price, the GCM12SD is the best miter saw for most woodworkers. With a powerful 15-amp motor that can handle even the toughest cuts, this miter saw is built for durability and long-lasting performance.
Bosch’s patented Axial Glide System sets this miter saw apart from the competition. This system gives you wider cross cuts and better alignment while also being more compact, allowing you to save 12 inches (30cm) of workspace that other miter saws require.
The GCM12SD also has an expanded cutting capacity, with features including:
- 14-inch (35cm) horizontal capacity
- 6-1/2 inch (16cm) vertical capacity against the fence
- 6-1/2 inch (16cm) crown capacity against the fence base
- Can make 45-degree spring cuts
Bottom line: I highly recommend the Bosch GCM12SD if you’re looking for a versatile and powerful miter saw at a reasonable price. It will give you years of trouble-free use and make even the most challenging woodworking projects easier.
- Powerful. The Bosch GCM12SD has a 15-amp motor that can handle even the most demanding cuts. You’ll easily power through the toughest lumber and have no trouble making even the most challenging cuts.
- Easily adjustable. This miter saw contains a large uniform bevel that’s easy-to-read and miter scales with marked detents and roof pitch angles.
- Precision control. The high precision square lock quick-release fence on the GCM12SD aligns the fence perfectly to the miter saw work table and doesn’t require adjustment. The one-touch lock/unlock feature is convenient, allowing you to quickly and easily slide the fence for additional support.
- Versatile. The GCM12SD has an expanded horizontal capacity of 14-inches (35 cm), and a 6-1/2 inch (16 cm) vertical capacity against the fence. The saw also has a 6-½ inch (16 cm) crown capacity against the fence base and can make 45-degree spring cuts. These features allow you to make wide cuts on the most challenging projects.
- Very compact cutting. The Bosch-exclusive Axial Glide System on the GCM12SD allows for more closely-packed workspaces and provides better alignment with wider cross cuts. The system also allows for more precision and complete control.
The Bosch GCM12SD is a great miter saw, but it does have a few drawbacks:
- The price is on the high end. If you’re looking for a more budget-friendly option, this may not be the saw for you. Check out the DEWALT 12-Inch Miter Saw (DWS715) instead.
- The dust collection system is not as effective as it could be. Some users have complained that the saw produces a lot of dust and that the dust collection system is ineffective as the airspeed isn’t high enough to completely clear the area.
- The blade guard is not as easy to remove as some users would like. The Bosch GCM12SD has a blade guard that must be removed to change the blade. Some users have found this to be a bit of a hassle.
Best Bang for the Buck: DEWALT 12-Inch Miter Saw (DWS715)
The Dewalt DWS715 is a high-quality miter saw at a very reasonable price. This saw is perfect for the budget-conscious woodworker who still wants a powerful and reliable tool.
The DWS715’s blade drives at 4,000 RPM due to the 15-amp motor, making it more capable of handling even the most challenging cuts. The miter saw has an adjustable bevel detent plate with 11 positive stops that allow you to easily adjust the blade to the desired angle.
The DWS715 has a tall sliding fence that supports 5-1/2 inches (14 cm) of base molding vertically and 5-1/2 inches (14 cm) of crown molding vertically nested. The saw has a large cutting capacity, with a 12-inch (30 cm) horizontal capacity and a 6-½ inch (16 cm) vertical capacity against the fence.
Bottom line: The Dewalt DWS715 is a great miter saw for the budget-conscious woodworker. If you’re looking for an affordable option that’s still powerful and reliable, this is the saw for you.
- Powerful motor. The DWS715 has a 15-amp motor that’ll easily power through the toughest lumber and make even the most challenging cuts. With a 4,000 RPM blade speed, this saw can handle anything you throw at it without breaking a sweat.
- Affordable. The DWS715 is one of the most affordable miter saws on the market, backed by Dewalt’s excellent reputation, which also backs it for quality and durability. It’s a great option for budget-conscious woodworkers who still want a high-quality tool.
- Lightweight and portable design. This 12-inch (30cm) single-bevel compound miter saw is lightweight and contains a built-in carry handle, making it perfectly designed for portability. This makes it easy to take the saw to job sites or move it around the workshop.
- Repeatable accuracy. The DWS715 has a stainless-steel miter detent plate and cam miter lock, both of which are designed for repeatable accuracy and durability. These features make it easy to produce consistent, reliable cuts without having to adjust it frequently.
- Grinding noise. Some users have complained that over time, the DWS715 starts to make a grinding noise when in use. This is usually due to the blade hitting something it shouldn’t, so be sure to keep an eye on the blade and make sure it’s clear of debris before each use.
Best for Woodworking: Makita LS0815F Slide Compound Miter Saw
The Makita LS0815F is a powerful and precise miter saw perfect for woodworking projects. With a 10.5 AMP direct drive motor, the LS0815F can easily power through even the toughest lumber.
The saw has a 0-50 degree miter range left, and a 0-60 degree miter range right, both of which allows for precise cuts at the angles you need. Cutting capacity is also impressive, with the LS0815F able to cut up to 12 inches (30cm) at a 90 degree angle and 8-½ inches (21cm) at a 45 degree angle.
This compound miter saw has a see-through blade guard system. This see-through design allows for better blade and line-of-cut visibility, and provides added comfort due to its rubberized horizontal D-handle and large trigger switch.
The LS0815F also has a built-in laser that projects a line onto the workpiece. The laser is adjustable, so you can align it with the left or right side of the blade, depending on your preference.
Bottom line: The Makita LS0815F is a feature-rich miter saw perfect for:
- Baseboard and crown molding installation
- Finish carpentry
- Cabinet and furniture making
- Wood floor installation
- Deck building
Its powerful motor, large cutting capacity, and built-in laser make it an excellent choice for anyone looking for a high-quality miter saw for woodworking projects.
- Ease of use. The LS0815F has several features that make it easy to use, including an adjustable bevel detent plate with 11 positive stops, a built-in laser guide, and an ergonomic design. These features make it easy to get precise cuts, even if you’re a beginner.
- Accuracy. A linear ball bearing system is built into this miter saw in order to deliver dead-on accurate cuts. This system ensures that the blade is always aligned with the cut line, so your cuts will be precise and accurate.
- Large cutting capacity. The LS0815F can easily handle large cutting projects, thanks to its 12-inch cutting capacity at 90 degrees and 8-1/2 inch (21cm) capacity at 45 degrees.
- Portability. The compact and lightweight design of the saw makes it easy to carry around wherever you need it, or to just move around the workshop. The built-in carry handle also makes transporting the saw from one location to another easy.
- 1-year warranty. Makita offers a 1-year warranty on the LS0815F to give users peace of mind. Moreover, a 30-day satisfaction guarantee is also available, so you can return the saw if you’re unhappy with it.
- Plastic parts in important places. While the LS0815F is a high-quality miter saw, some users have noted that some parts, such as the miter lock knob, power/safety switch, and bevel lock knob, are made of plastic and feel flimsy.
Best for Metal Cutting: DEWALT Metal Cutting Saw, 14-Inch (DW872)
For anyone looking for a miter saw that can easily handle metal cutting projects, the DEWALT DW872 is a great option.
This DeWalt high-performance industrial tool is specifically designed for cutting both non-ferrous and ferrous metals and can make quick work of even the thickest materials. With a powerful 15-amp/4HP motor, the DW872 can handle even the most challenging metal cutting projects.
The saw has a carbide-tipped blade spanning 14-inches (35 cm) that delivers fast, precise, and burr-free cuts. It’s designed to stay sharp for long periods, so you can make hundreds of cuts before needing to replace it.
The DW872 also has an integrated XPS crosscut positioning system that provides adjustment-free cutline indication for more accurate cuts and a 45-degree bevel capacity that allows quick and easy cuts.
The DW872 can handle round materials of up to 5-3/16 inches (12 cm) and rectangular materials of up to 6-1/2 (16 cm) by 4-1/2-inches (11 cm).
Bottom line: The DEWALT DW872 is a versatile and powerful chop saw specifically designed for cutting metal. With a 15-amp motor, it has plenty of power to handle even the thickest materials, and the XPS cross cut positioning system provides adjustment-free cutline indication for more accurate cuts.
- Large capacity. The DEWALT DW872 is the largest miter saw in its class, with the ability to cut round materials of up to 5-3/16 inches (12 cm) and rectangular materials of up to 6-½ (16 cm) by 4-1/2 inches (11 cm).
- Versatile. This miter saw has a multi-cutter head that can be used with various cutting attachments. Because it can cut ferrous and non-ferrous metals, it’s a versatile tool that can be used for multiple projects.
- 1-year full warranty. The DEWALT DW872 comes with a warranty package that includes a 30-day, no-risk satisfaction guarantee, a 1-year free service contract, and a 1-year limited warranty. Knowing that your purchase is backed by a solid warranty, you can have peace of mind.
- Safe. The DW872 has several safety features, including a blade guard, an adjustable chip deflector, and a quick retracting guard. These features help to protect you from injuries while using the saw.
- Slower than other miter saws. The DW872 is a powerful and durable miter saw, but it isn’t as fast as some other miter saws on the market. It has a no-load speed of only 1300 RPM, so it may take longer to complete projects.
Best for Alternative Materials: Evolution Power Tools R255SMS+ 10″ Multi-Material Compound Sliding Miter Saw Plus
A versatile and powerful option for those looking to cut a variety of materials, the Evolution Power Tools R255SMS+ is an excellent choice.
This Evolution saw has an impressive hi-torque motor designed to cut through various materials without needing to change blades. With a 15 amp saw, an adjustable depth, and its premium Japanese Tungsten-Carbide-Tipped blade, it can quickly work on even the most challenging projects.
The R255SMS+ can cut to within +/- 0.5˚ with 0° – 45° bevel tilt and 50˚ – 50˚ miter angles. It also has quick click miter stops that allow for easy and accurate miter cuts at various degrees both left and right, including: 0˚, 15, 22.5, 30, and 45˚. This saw also has a unique dust collection system that helps to keep the work area clean and free of debris.
Bottom line: The versatility and power of the Evolution Power Tools R255SMS+ make it an excellent choice for those looking to cut various materials. Its hi-torque motor, laser guidance, and adjustable depth allow you to handle even the most challenging projects.
- Can cut a variety of materials. With its hi-torque motor, the R255SMS+ can cut through wood, aluminum, steel, plasterboard, and plastic without needing to change blades, making it a versatile choice for various projects.
- Accurate cuts. The R255SMS+ has quick click miter stops, making it easy to get precise miter cuts. The laser guidance system also helps to ensure that your cuts are clear and accurate.
- Dust collection system. This saw has a unique dust collection system that helps to keep the work area clean and free of debris. You won’t have to worry about breathing in harmful dust particles while you work.
- Very portable. The R255SMS+ is easy to carry around, thanks to its integrated carry handles. You can pick up and transport the saw around the workshop (or on-site) without difficulty.
- Convenient to use. The R255SMS+ has an extended power cable that gives you an extra 13 ft (4m) of reach. Therefore, you won’t need an extension cord, as the saw can easily reach any area you need to cut.
- Attractive warranty. The R255SMS+ comes with a 3-year limited manufacturer and a 3-year limited warranty. Knowing that your purchase is backed by a solid warranty, you can have peace of mind.
- The blade is not very durable. The R255SMS+ comes with a multipurpose blade that is designed to cut through a variety of materials. However, some users have found that the blade is not very durable and may need to be replaced after a few uses.
Factors To Consider
There are three primary factors that you should consider when choosing the best miter saw for your needs:
- Blade size
I’ll go into more detail on each of these factors below.
The Power Level of the Miter Saw
Miter saws are available in various power levels, from 7.5 amps to 15 amps. The saw’s power will dictate what type of materials it can cut through.
A lower-power saw will suffice if you only need to cut through softwoods. However, you’ll most likely need a higher-power saw if you need to cut through tougher materials like hardwoods or aluminum.
The Miter Saw Blade Size
Miter saws come with blades that range in size from 8 inches (20 cm) to 12 inches (30 cm). The size of the blade will dictate how thick of a material you can cut through. 10-inch (25 cm) and 12-inch (30 cm) blades are the most common, and they can make crosscuts in boards up to 6 inches wide.
12-inch (30 cm) blades are the most versatile and can handle a wider range of materials and thicknesses. However, they’re also the most expensive. If you only need to make occasional cuts in softwoods, then an 8-inch (20 cm) or 10-inch (25 cm) blade will suffice.
The Price of the Miter Saw
A miter saw can range from $100 to $600. The cost will depend on the power and blade size of the saw. Higher-priced saws will have more power and a larger blade, while lower-priced saws will have less power and a smaller blade. So, depending on the type of work you plan to do will determine how much you really need to spend.
After considering the purchase price, power, blade size, and a host of other features, I’ve found that the best miter saw is the Bosch 12-Inch Dual-Bevel Glide Miter Saw (GCM12SD).
Compared to my other picks in this article and on the market, the Bosch GCM12SD offers the best combination of features that make it ideal for most users.
Check out the Bosch GCM12SD on Amazon now!
- Bob Vila: The Best Miter Saw Options in 2022
- Craftsman Pro Tools: 10 Best Compound Miter Saws in 2022 [ Reviews and Guide ]
- Popular Mechanics: 5 Best Miter Saws of 2022 | The Best Miter Saws for DIYer and Pro
- Woodsmith: Top Miter Saws in 2022
- The Spruce: The 9 Best Miter Saws of 2022
- Wood Epoxy World: Does a Mitre Saw Need To Be Mounted?